Thursday, October 30, 2014

Plans for November

NaNoWriMo is almost here! I'm sure the majority of people couldn't really care less about that, but I do. I love the self imposed deadline, the mad rush to finish a first draft. There's even an imagined sense of community when you consider that people all over the world are in the same rush as you.

Now, if I'm being honest, I've never actually completed a manuscript during NaNo, but in the past few years I have improved in that regard. I'm fairly confident in my abilities this time around.
"But, James," You say, "We don't care about all of that. We just want to know what you're working on."
Okay, okay, I hear you. Well, if you're one of the two people that read this thing on a regular basis you may be familiar with a story I posted a while ago called A Worthy Sacrifice. I mention in the original post that I've planned on returning to the world of that story for a while. Well, that's what I'm doing this November.
It's gonna be great, guys. I promise. Okay, so it might be total and complete garbage, but I don't think it will. I've got a pretty solid cast of characters, some really likable, others not so much. I have a rough outline that I'm pretty happy with. And, most importantly, I've got a nice stable of monsters and various horrific circumstances to throw at my characters.
You read that right, monsters. I'm trying my hand at a longer form horror story. This will be my first attempt at a project of this kind. I've done a few short stories, most of my other in-progress books have some of the elements found in the genre, I've even done a short screenplay, but I've tried never anything of this size or complexity totally within that framework.
"Okay, that's great, but what about your other projects? We're waiting on more of that."
That is a valid point. It's coming. I promise. I just wrapped up a second draft of another book I've been working on since July. Once NaNoWriMo is over I plan on jumping back into that one and running through it a third time. At that point I feel it might be ready to share with a wider audience. But if you really want to read more of it, just send me a message, I am looking for some trustworthy Beta readers.
Alright, back to the subject of this post: My new horror novel I start on November 1st 2014.
The working title at the moment is The Woods Behind. It takes place in a small West Virginia town, (because I like West Virginia and lived there for two years, that's why.) On the outskirts of this town is a winding country road that ends in a small neighborhood surrounded on all sides by a thick forest. Three of the homes in this neighborhood have occupants. This story is about the people in those three houses and the things that live in the woods behind their homes, and sometimes let themselves in.
Because I love you guys I will do my best to share some samples of this story as I work. I appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm for my writing. The two of you(Okay, I think there might be a few more of you) have no idea how much I appreciate the fact you read what I share. The fact a few of you even like it makes it even better.
So wish me luck as I embark on this dangerous quest into darkness. Feel free to send me angry messages if I don't deliver a few samples this coming month. I want feedback, I need feedback, please give it.
Happy NaNoWriMo. And Halloween, I guess... I'm gonna try and have something new for you tomorrow too. Halloween is too important for me to not post something. Hmm.... What shall I share?

No comments:

Post a Comment